Work with us!
Find opportunities to join our team here. Black Public Media is currently looking for:
Director of Marketing + Communications
Black Public Media is committed to a fully realized expression of democracy. We support diverse voices by developing, producing and distributing innovative media about the Black experience and by investing in visionary content makers. Founded in 1979, the Black Public Media (BPM) develops, produces and funds media content about the Black experience for public media outlets, including television, digital radio and online. Since 1991, BPM has invested more than $12 million dollars in iconic non-fiction content for public media outlets, including PBS and PBS.org; trained, mentored and supported a diverse array of producers who create content about contemporary black experiences; and emerged as a leader in the evolving next-media landscape. BPM distributes engaging content online at BlackPublicMedia.org and via broadcast through its AfroPoP: The Ultimate Cultural Exchange documentary series.
Black Public Media is undergoing a major branding transition. Formerly known as National Black Programming Consortium (NBPC), Black Public Media seeks to advance NBPC’s legacy of developing and distributing black media with a purpose, for a new generation of content creators and media consumers who consider the public space to exist on multiple platforms rather than one single network channel.
To that end the Director of Marketing & Communications (DMC) will oversee BPM’s marketing & communications initiatives across multiple platforms and formats to drive viewership, engagement, and retention. This individual is an expert in all things related to brand consistency, audience segmentation and localization, analytics and meaningful measurement. The position helps to define both the brand story and the story as interpreted by the customer. This is a senior level position within the organization.
This is a FT position and reports directly to the Executive Director.
Ultimately, the job of the DMC is to think like a publisher/journalist, leading the development of content initiatives in all forms to drive new and current business. This includes:
- Ensuring messaging is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, mobile, video, and print.
- Mapping out a communications strategy that supports and extends marketing initiatives, both short- and long-term, determining which methods work for the brand and why. Continuous evolvement of strategy is a must.
- Conducting ongoing usability tests to gauge marketing & communications effectiveness. Gathering data and handle analytics and make recommendations based on those results.
- Work on all creative and branding initiatives to ensure a consistent message across channels. Write across a variety of media, from long-form blog posts, press releases and newsletters to postcards and social media posts. Proofreading, editing, and otherwise improving copy by staff.
The Director of Marketing & Engagement should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field. MBA in marketing a plus.
- 7+ years of experience in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc.).
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics; Audience development experience a plus.
- Proven editorial skills. Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create messages that draw an audience
- Experienced or have a demonstrated aptitude in adopting new media technologies that will serve BPM
- Strong social media skills with a demonstrated ability to build big followings on multiple platforms.
- Familiarity with principles of marketing
- Fluency in web analytics tools, social media marketing applications, and leading social media monitoring platforms
- Ability to work independently, with consultants, temporary staff, and interns.
Please email cover letter & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Marketing & Communications in the Subject.
Position: Black Public Media Program Associate
The Black Public Media is seeking a Program Associate for the Program Development Department to help
coordinate and administrate BPM’s various program activities for multiple media platforms. The BPM Program Associate is a key support position within the program development department. The program is responsible for coordinating the delivery of media content to BPM as well as assisting in the communication and distribution of this content across multiple media platforms. Major duties include:
- Providing general project management support (follow up email/phone calls, notification of overdue
materials, etc…) of BPM’s funded and acquired program content.
- Notifying producers of acceptance or rejections of funding requests.
- Overseeing the BPM’s digital media content archives.
- Overseeing Station Relations Consultant as needed for select projects.
- Serving as staff liaison with AfroPop’s Series Producer, APT & WORLD, station relations & PR
- Drafting initial funding and acquisition contracts and following up to ensure execution.
- Managing and tracking Producers’ deliverables.
- Maintaining BPM’s grant reporting records.
- Coordinating screenings of BPM program content locally and nationally.
- Administrative and programmatic tasks as assigned.
The right applicant must have a combination of administrative and communication skills with an interest in digital media content management. S/he should have excellent writing skills, be organized and efficient, be able to work across computer platforms (PC /Mac), including strong proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and suite of Google platforms. Applicant should also be familiar with databases (MS Access or Filemaker Pro), have some experience in sales, have excellent follow through, and enjoys working
with people. Applicant should be personable as he/she will be the first line of contact within the Program Development Department. The right person for this job is someone whose primary work experience is in arts administration.
This person is reliable, consistent, and yet flexible enough to be able to accommodate the variable pacing of an expanding media arts company. This position is NOT for the aspiring film producer or director. Applicants interested in making films should NOT apply for this position.
This is a FT Salaried position at $40K annually with benefits.
BPM is a 38-year- old non-profit media arts organization that specializes in the funding, production and distribution of broadcast and new media content to public and private media systems. BPM also provides training in new media systems to independent media creatives.
Please email a cover letter and resume with “Programs Associate” in the subject header to email@example.com. Or mail to: BPM, 8 W. 126 th Street, New York, NY 10027 Attn: Programs Associate Position